Perfumes are usually made from solvents, essential oils and fixatives which can be from plants or animal sources. Before deciding to purchase on a perfume online in Nigeria , it is best to conduct a bit of research and consider the following things:
- Longevity and sillage : longevity simply mean how long a scent lasts while sillage refers to its power that is the trail of scent the person wearing the perfume leaves behind. It is best is select a fragrance with a good longevity and sillage (lasts long and the power is not so overwhelming that you leave a trail of people choking in your wake).
- Fragrance Notes. It is also important to know the various notes and categories of fragrances that exists. Note that perfumes are described as having three sets of notes which are revealed over time with the top note being the first note perceived immediately after a scent is applied, it evaporates quickly and is vital in forming the buyer’s first impression (examples of top notes are mint and lavender) The second note often called the middle or heart notes is perceived immediately after the top note. It masks any unpleasant impression of the top note and becomes even more pleasant with length of application. (examples of middle notes are jasmine and sandalwood) The base note is the main theme of the fragrance and it gives it depth and a sense of solidity. It is usually not perceived until after 20 or 30 minutes of the perfume application (examples of base notes are musk and tobacco)
Perfumes are described based on the fragrance concentration or strength, so perfumes with a higher fragrance concentration has more perfume oils and less alcohol and vice versa. Based on this, perfumes are classified into different categories listed below.
- Parfum or pure perfume. This is said to have the highest concentration of fragrance usually between 20% to 30% for most parfums. It has the highest longevity (about 6-8 hours) and is also the most expensive.
- Eau de Parfum or EDP. This has a fragrance concentration between 15% to 20% and is second to parfum in longevity which is as long as 4-5 hours. It is quite common and recommended for daily wear as it is also affordable.
- Eau de Toilette or EDT. It has a fragrance concentration between 5% to 15% and is one of the most popular type of fragrances available. The longevity is about 2-3 hours.
- Eau de Cologne or EDC. It has a very low fragrance concentration between 2%-4% and a high alcohol concentration. The longevity is only up to 2 hours and may need to be used with other fragrance types.
- Eau Fraiche. It is similar to the EDC in longevity but has an even lower fragrance concentration between 1-3%.It also has a low alcohol concentration.
- Perfume oils. These are also called fragrance or aromatic oils and unlike the other fragrance types, they contain 0% alcohol. They are artificially concentrated scents and has excellent longevity. The fragrance notes also deepen throughout the day and are more subtle. I personally love them best of all because they are hydrating and increase the skin’s moisture barrier while adding an irresistible scent. They are also less irritating mostly due to the lack of alcohol.
- Other fragrances include mists and aftershaves applied directly on the body just to smell nice. They are often used after a bath or shower and can be used in combination with the other fragrance types.
Selecting a Perfume Brand When Shopping Online
I love reading perfume reviews and think they are a great way to know more about a product so I would recommend reading reviews posted on the perfume brand’s website to know more. Reading the product information on the website gives you a lot of info about the brand and product but reading the reviews gives you an insight on what you should expect or experience after making your purchase.
In a physical store, you can be sprayed or allowed to sniff the scent before making a decision but since you can’t do that online the next best thing is to search for free perfume samples. Several sites such as Sephora, Amazon and Pretty Thrifty offer freebies. You can also signup for their newsletter to receive updates on new products, promos and offers.
After considering the fragrance concentration and knowing what you want in a scent, the next thing is to browse through the product available to get your perfect scent. Fragrancesforte is one of the trusted online perfume shops in Nigeria that you can shop from: